Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Not the worst idea I've heard

The Goessling Game: The Nationals-B.J. Upton rumor passes the smell test

B. J. Upton wouldn't be the worst idea I've heard as a trade target.

He's young, plays a premium position and has massive upside.

OTOH, he's never delivered on his promise at the major league level and now has a long track record of lack of success. He's no Devon White in CF and he's no Rickey Henderson when it comes to getting on base.

Oh and you'd have to pay him after 2012.

Maybe I've just talked myself out of Bossman Jr.

This decision comes down to a pure scouting evaluation of Upton as a person and a player. The numbers say he's not likely to improve and what he is isn't much.

But if there is an environmental factor, a physical problem or simply bad instruction perhaps Upton's talents could be unleashed elsewhere.

If they can get him without having to pay the price for his potential and the FO has a clear idea of how he could be better, then why the hell not?

In the end, I highly doubt the Nationals would trade for Upton. It's really a high risk move for an organization which has shown little appetite for risk.

A few random thoughts on the 2011 season so far:

Danny Espinosa and Jordan Zimmermann seem to have established themselves as useful players. That was (and is) a crucial goal for this season.

Mike Morse is proving spring training stats don't matter -- BTW Ryan Langerhans has 2 HRs for Seattle so far I'm just saying.

Rick Ankiel has two great skills -- hitting for power and throwing from the outfield. It proves all you need is one or two above average skills to find work in baseball.

Jason Marquis is healthy. That's good. Now if he can just maintain it for three months he can be spun into something very useful come July 31.

I can't make up my mind about Ian Desmond. By the numbers, he a negative fielder which is astounding. I know about the errors -- they are highlighted and chronicled. But it seems to me I see a play or two nearly every game that an average shortstop (let's call him Phristian) would not get to. Or a throw they wouldn't make. That's an extra out for the defense in the same way an error is an extra out for the offense. Maybe I don't see enough other SS in action to really judge and the numbers really do the job but in my mind they could do a lot worse at short than Desmond.

Wilson Ramos has been extremely lucky so far. I'll grant you that. But he seems comfortable back there and there is some pop in his bat. Again, he may not be All-Star quality but he looks like he'll be in the fraternity of catchers for quite a while.

Interesting stat during the Brewers/Phils game last night. Shawn Marcum was starting for the Brewers and throwing at best in the mid-80s. They posted a list of the slowest fastballs among starters in 2011. I'd be willing to bet you already know who topped this list by 3 mph if I remember correctly.I can't imagine what kind of confidence it takes to walk out to the mound armed with nothing like Livan! does and still get guys out.

One suggestion for the game day staff at the park -- if you have a game that's close but say has gone on for such a long time that 95% of the visible seats from the CF camera are empty -- bring some people down from the cheap seats and fill them up. I feel like I'm watching college baseball when the CF shot shows NO ONE in the background. I know you want to maintain exclusivity for these posh seats but trust me when I tell you it looks like crap on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment