Friday, April 23, 2010

To Be a Fan of the Washington Nationals - Charles Krauthammer - National Review Online

To Be a Fan of the Washington Nationals - Charles Krauthammer - National Review Online

I don't even know where to start. I could go with the hey moron if you are such a fan then you must know the '10 version of the Nats is not appreciably better than the '08 and '09 versions just a lot luckier early.

But that point is up for debate. You are what your record says you are and the Nats are (right now) a .500 team a 23 game improvement at current rates.

But to pen a hymn to the joys of losing? Yes, I'd like to go to the opera and hear Britney Spears hit the high notes. Or I'd like to see The Situation as Willy Loman. Because watching an artful or athletic skill done at a sub optimal level is what it's all about. I'd rather watch Willy Tavares ground out weekly to short than see Albert Pujols take an outside low fastball and deposit over the right field wall.

Now I suppose if your intent on going to the ballpark is to be seen, to mix and mingle with mover and shakers in an atmosphere of relative serene peace and quiet then well Nats Park is for you. Goodness knows the unwashed masses who would show up and cheer loudly for a winner would make it impossible to discuss the finer points of US foreign policy with an undersecretary of state while noshing on a brisket.

Losing only tells you one thing: You are doing it wrong! But in Washington, doing it wrong gets you a subsidy so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment